Miss Gagan Vaid

It takes a BIG heart to teach LITTLE minds!

Karen- Supporting Student Learning

Karen, from Vancouver school district gave her insight on supporting student learning in terms of educational technology. Karen feels strongly that everyone can access technology and it can be adjusted to suit anybody. Technology has multiple open-ended apps for students to learn and enhance their learning . Furthermore, technology is a safe tool and is a great tool for making mistakes and reflecting from them.

I personally utilize the app Grammarly for my essays because it helps me catch those hidden mistakes. The app is a safe and easy tool to use. Karen states that buttons like undo or spelling error often helps students visualize the mistakes they have made and further helps them reflect on those mistakes, so they do not repeat them again.

Something that resonated with me was the “Book Creator” app that Karen stated is her favourite.  It is a simple tool where you can create eBooks and publish them. You can create any type of books like picture books, chapter books, journals, textbooks, and even photo books. It can be used through iPads, computers, chrome books, and the internet. I thought the app was pretty cool as I looked on the internet on how it was utilized.  I would love to use this app in my future classroom. I would love to create books based on my lessons for my students to see what I did as a teacher. Students can also practice their writing skills by writing a journal or practicing their spelling words on their own. It allows students to learn best in a way that works for them because the student can create their own book and in their own style. A great presentation by Karen 🙂

Carrie- Computational Thinking

Carrie arrived to UNBC Senate Chambers to give us a presentation on computational thinking. We started off the class by thinking about what we thought computational thinking was. We learned that computation thinking is a problem-solving process. It helps with logical reasoning, develop algorithms, break down of problems into discrete steps, find patterns and generalize, use abstraction, and involves evaluations. Altogether, it helps recognize the problem and develop solutions for it. It can be as simple as writing a poem, dancing, or even baking a cake.

Something that resonated with me was the video. The video made it easier for me to understand the concept. I am a visual person so it helped me a lot. The video had a father making a peanut butter sandwich from reading his children’s hand-made instructions.  I think the topic can be a bit dry and the video made it more humorous. The video’s purpose was to show how specific things can be.  After multiple attempts, the children figured out how to make the instructions.  Some computational thinking that came from the video was algorithmic thinking- looking at equations , they had to find patterns- looking at what worked and what did not,  and logical reasoning. In the end, the father evaluated the sandwich to see if it met expectations.

Fresh Grade with Cliff Waldie

What is Fresh Grade? Cliff Waldie arrived to UNBC to give us Teacher Candidates insight on how Fresh Grade works for teachers.  I learned Fresh grade is an online portfolio that gives permission to comment and interact on student’s school work in any given device. Fresh Grade is a platform utilized mainly for communication.

What can Fresh Grade do for you? I learned it can be used to enhance student assessment and facilitate student/teacher/parent communication. For example,  if a student creates something in class that they want to share, they can share it on the portfolio where the student’s parents can see what they did in school. You can upload videos, PDFs, documents, and much more. Some examples include, notes, awards, evidence of growth, and specific activities.

What resonated with me? I feel like I enjoyed knowing more about Fresh Grade because I honestly did not know much before.  What stood out to me was the idea around Fresh Grade.  I feel students take ownership in their work when they can see the comments and questions on their work. I feel like students get a sense of pride knowing that there work is up on display and that they are very much proud of their work.

Sally Song Overuse of Tec

Sally Song, a grade 7 teacher, gave teacher candidates an insight on her choice of technology in the classroom. She has been teaching 7 years altogether and has a passion to teach intermediate grades. She finds technology can be used throughout all grades as observed from K to grade 7 herself.

Sally stated things were much different back in the day as she only witnessed a few types of technology in the classroom. Today, she says things have drastically changed and now you see iPads everywhere. Something that resonated with me was when Sally stated that life got easier when she got Twitter. It helped her open doors to get ideas from education chats, teachers, class blogs, and much more. However, she said she got pretty burned out from keeping up with her twitter blogs, apps, and her personal blog. She realized she needed to slow down and eventually it became a pride thing for her -to get followers, do retweets, make videos, etc. Today, she states that you need to make it meaningful and pick and choose what works for you. Do not think you have to do it all.

Sally’s insight really made me think about picking and choosing because I am the type of person to think -I can do it all. I agree, that you should choose what works for you and go for that rather than burning yourself out for no reason. I think once it becomes a pride thing, it shifts away from it as being meaningful to you. As well, thinking about the overuse of technology- technology should not replace core competencies- students need to think for themselves and be more aware. I think technology should be used as a resource to grasp information but the students need to think what to do with that information. -Highly insightful presentation

Face-to-face with Valerie

Valerie Irvine, a professor and advisor in British Columbia, provided us- teacher candidates with important questions to really critically think about. For example- why do you think face-to-face experiences are important? which I answered stating it is important because I am a big believer in hands-on experiences and those experiences cannot be implemented through doing a course online via internet. Furthermore, as a future teacher I want to make those connections to my students. A connection through the internet is not the same as a connection face-to-face. However, I would provide different options for that learning to take place for my students, so that I covered the different learners in my classroom.

Valerie Irvine reflected on her experiences to tell us how modality shapes the concept of teaching. She stated that in one of her biology classes in high school, all she did was memorize the work. Moreover, she explained that we sometimes underestimate the fact that we have diverse learners in the classroom. I agree with this, I went through the experience where I was just memorizing tests. But did I really learn something in the class? no I did not learn.. I could not tell you anything about biology 11 class. I did poorly in the class and almost failed. This experience taught me an important lesson: to create different methods for my students to learn and PROVIDE OPTIONS. We must look at the methods and stop judging the modality- Valerie Irvine

Types of Technology in the classroom with Sandra

Sandra McAullay, a grade 7 teacher at Bulkley Valley paid a visit to UNBC today. She did the honor of teaching us, teacher candidates on the different aspects of technology for learning in the classroom. Ultimately, I learned about the different learning websites there are on the internet. I honestly, did not know many websites until now. The different websites she talked about were pic collage, fresh grade, video logs, and google translate/books. I had the opportunity to play on the iPad on the app- DDM Reading. I thought the app was great for listening and comprehending language arts skills. Likewise, Sandra told us a story about an experience, she had to help a teacher with a student. The story really stood out to me because it really speaks the truth; we must as educators have students learn and access in different ways because every student learns differently. The story was about a student who would not read or write but did not have an individualized education plan. Sandra came up with a plan to use technology to capture that interest of the child. And it worked! the child did his chemistry assignment on the iPad and even helped the student beside him. It just shows that we need to implement different ways for students to show their work and their learning. With technology becoming so advanced, we as educators need to keep up because it indeed is taking over the world!

Ozzobots with Noelle

Today we did something much different than going to our ordinary computer lab! We went to Nes Deh Yoh -an Aboriginal school in Prince George. We had the opportunity to meet Noelle, who works at the Aboriginal District Resource Center. This is actually my second time meeting Noel, I did an internship of 90 hours at Nes Deh Yoh for my major in First Nation Studies. She taught “maker space” with my grade 5/6 class that I was observing and helping at that time. She was patient, kind, and understanding as I observed her 2 years ago. Today, we played around with “ozzobots”. I actually never heard of ozzobots before so I definitely learned something new. We worked in groups of three and each shared the ozzobots. As well, we coded the path for the ozzobot to move on. As I looked around the room, everyone was highly engaged, interested, and working well in their groups. It really shows that hands-on experiences are one of the best ways you can learn. Imagine doing this with kids, it would be so much more fun for them and they would have a blast! It was a day to remember! Thanks Noel for introducing me to the world of ozzobots!

Learning from Ian Landy

Everyday we learn something new. I had the pleasure to witness Ian Landy’s presentation on portfolios with a spoonful of inspiration attached to it. Ian is a Principal in Powell River and is teaching future educators like me on the world of educational technology. So, you might be wondering what I learned from the presentation? I learned that journals have a significant impact and has been used since the early days. As a child, I would write in my diary simply to let go of my emotions and eventually would dispose of the diaries. Unlike, Ian who discovered two decades ago of his father’s journal. His father highlighted important moments in his journey as an educator. Ian could envision how his father’s struggles, successes, thinking, and perspective as an educator was before he passed away. Likewise, I think it is highly important to keep track somehow, in any style about your journey because one day, the audience meaning your friends and family will look back and envision the person you came to be as an educator. And for me, maybe one day I will look at this eportfolio and reflect on who I was, what changes occurred, and who I am presently.

© 2019 Miss Gagan Vaid