Each and every one of us originate from diverse backgrounds that make us unique from each other. I had the honour to perform and teach a Punjabi Bollywood dance called “Bhangra” to my fellow UNBC peers. The lesson started off with a video to introduce “Bhangra”, then I showed each dance move step while others watched. In the end, we all were dancing together to the beat of a Bollywood song. A day to remember!

It was one of my first times teaching at Harwin Elementary! I remember having butterflies in my stomach, feeling tired from a sleepless night and I kept thinking.. will they learn from my lesson? I started off reading a story about Totem Poles and had a discussion on the meaning of Totem Poles for First Nations Peoples. I, then had them work in partners with one box per group. I gave them options to use any type of material to display a few of their own cultural components on the box. In the end, we placed it together and it become one big classroom Totem Pole. The Totem Pole culturally represented my students. -It might have been one of my first lessons taught but it was one of my favourite ones by far!

As I taught at Harwin Elementary throughout the weeks, I started to notice something. I had realized there was First Nations artwork framed in the hallways of the entire school. I decided to do something about the artwork. I had students go on an art scavenger hunt around the school. Student’s task was to roughly draw what they found, tell me what they thought each artwork was about, and what it meant to them. Afterward, I had them create a painting of something that represented themselves. I always knew I was a risk-taker at heart.