EDUC 390 – During this time, I taught grade 3 students Social Studies at Harwin Elementary. I was highly nervous and I remember thinking to myself… will they learn from me? will it be meaningful to them? will they have fun? My lessons were successful in my groups of 5 only because I really connected their culture with First Nations culture. I remember I had students go outside and draw a place outside that they felt most comfortable/safe at. They all drew a place and then had them discuss to me why they chose that place and why “place” is important to them. This is when my teaching journey really started. 

EDUC 391 – During this practicum, I taught grade 5/6 students at Cataline Elementary in Williams Lake, BC. I decided to do intermediate grades because I had the least experience in those grades and I wanted to challenge myself. I had an amazing time getting to really know my students. I taught my students  probability and a poetry unit for the three weeks of practicum. Some examples include designing probability pizza fractions through play-based learning and 5 senses poem through selected objects. I actually decided to go in earlier before my practicum to observe so that really helped me know my students. I can now see myself teaching intermediate grades.

EDUC 490– During this practicum, I was placed at Marie Sharpe in Williams Lake, BC. I taught Kindergarten students and let me tell you.. it was a blast! Kindergarten students have this excitement and curiosity about the world that challenges you and critically makes you think on your feet, I taught students yoga, volcanos, how to be a good friend, upper and lower case letters, and sign language. This practicum made me learn about management skills, December madness, everyday routines, and building relationships. It was a ton of fun but also challenged me to think how to manage Kindergarten students strategically when teaching lessons. I very much enjoyed my time at Marie Sharpe Elementary! 

EDUC 491- During my last practicum, I was placed at Marie Sharpe in Williams Lake, BC. I taught a Kindergarten class. I taught students the meaning of friendship, Arctic animals, shapes, colors, alphabet, and movement skills. This 10 week practicum really opened my eyes in terms of managing students with behaviors during lessons and differentiating lessons to meet my students needs. I enjoyed connecting with my students on a deeper level when working with them one-on-one and connecting with the staff members at Marie Sharpe. I felt very welcomed and supported by everyone at the school. Leadership, collaboration, and communication is something I look for in a school and I really would like to thank each and everyone at Marie Sharpe for making my experience so wonderful.