Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.

I would like to take a moment and reflect on my examples below for standard 4. I would say I have had a bit of interaction with parents. The first time I had an interaction was when a parent walked in looking for their child. I introduced myself as a practicing teacher and helped the parent. I would say standard 4 is important and I have completed it through being respectful to parents and teachers in the building. I have introduced myself, had conversations, and taken part in professional development days with teachers from different schools.

Experiences 

•I worked with the music teacher at Harwin Elementary and we came up with ideas on how to place First Nations culture into music and tie it into social studies. I also, developed a professional relationship with my practicum teacher through planning and coming up with ideas together towards my lesson plans.

• As I supervised during recess, before school, and after school I took the initiative to talk to the teachers in the school. I engaged in conversation during lunch breaks and recess breaks.

• Instead of watching the scrapping of the moose, I instead respectfully set up the blanket exercise with my group of peers.

• A parent walked in one day during lunch, asking about a student, I took the time to introduce myself as a practicing teacher and helped her by directing her to where her child was during lunchtime hours.

• As teachers dropped off their children to the Kindergarten door, oftentimes I would greet them and even introduce myself.

• I created a welcome letter and parent package in my UNBC counseling class which provided information on assignments, beliefs, and expectation

• As teachers dropped off their children to the Kindergarten door, oftentimes I would greet them and even introduce myself. As teachers dropped off their children to the Kindergarten door, oftentimes I would greet them and even introduce myself.

Evidence

Goals for Parent/Teacher Interview 

1. To outline a student’s academic performance in the classroom, highlighting their strengths and weaknesses in the academic field.
2. To discuss diverse learning strategies to help support the student’s learning and growth in the classroom.
3. To take the opportunity to learn from parents or guardians of the student through students’ needs, learning styles, behaviors, and successes so I can, as a teacher reflects on how to further support the students’ learning. 

Welcome Letter 

Dear Parents,
Welcome to Kindergarten! Hello! My name is Miss Gagan Vaid and I am excited to announce that I will be teaching your child this year. I am a University of Northern British Columbia Alumni with a major in First Nation Studies. I have a passion for the outdoors and am a movie fanatic by heart. I am lucky to start my first year of teaching in a kindergarten class. This is a year where your child will grow as a learner and develop multiple skills that will help them grow to be the individual they want to be.  Kindergarten is the first stepping stone to each student’s life-long learning journey. Students will practice their alphabetic skills by learning the ABCs and their sounds each week. Likewise, they will learn writing skills where they learn the letters of their first and last names. As they learn these skills, they will learn the importance of learning and the adventure that comes with it!
I am looking forward to our kindergarten adventure with your child and family.
To many wonderful moments to come,
Gagan Vaid