It takes a BIG heart to teach LITTLE minds!

Sandra McAulay’s Coding in the Elementary Classroom

Sandra returns for a second round presentation on teaching us about coding in the Elementary Classroom.  We started with Sandra giving the learning intentions for the activities she wanted for us to do for example, I can make a code to get from start to finish in a maze and I can make and follow a set of directions with a small group. I thought it was a great way to start a presentation because as teachers we need to tell our students the learning intentions so they know what they will be learning. Furthermore, she modelled how she would teach a primary classroom on a lesson on technology- we as teacher candidates acted the part of primary students (grade 1) and participated.

I really enjoyed the sequence lesson she taught us. She was very clear on instructions and describing the actions. I think the idea on how to implement sequencing in the classroom really resonated with me. We made our own sequence route and we all took turns walking the code. I thought the idea was very cool because it really shows the students how to physically learn sequencing by doing it themselves. However, I would suggest sequencing for older students or modify it for primary grades as I find it can be difficult to learn all the rules on the actions (for younger students) and might be hard for primary grades to understand the concept rather then intermediate grades.

1. bharkin

I also appreciated that Sandra modelled actual classroom management for us while taking us through some easy to implement coding in real life activities. I liked the sequencing activity too, since the instructions were very clear, but students are still able to complete the activity in their own way. Do you think you’ll use some of her activities in your own classes?

• abankole

I like your reflection on Sandra’s presentation. I also agree that the sequencing for the grade levels needs to be different.